Six documentaries have been longlisted for the 2022 Walkley Documentary Award.
The six films were selected for their impact and storytelling, showcasing the best in Australian long-form journalism while using a broad variety of stylistic approaches in keeping with their subject matter.
Walkley CEO Shona Martyn says, “This longlist proves that Australian documentary making is in very good shape. The documentary format allows filmmakers scope and flexibility as they reveal the complexities of stories and pressing issues. Congratulations to all the longlisted teams.”
The following films have made the Walkley Documentary Award longlist:
- Darren Dale, Amanda Blue, Fran Moore, and Jacob Hickey, Step Into Paradise, Blackfella Films
- LADbible Group, UNHEARD, LADbible Group and Prime Video
- Kate Hodges, Philippa Bateman and Archie Roach, Wash My Soul in the River’s Flow, Independent Producer
- Christopher Kamen, Franklin, Rock Island Bend Productions
- Ben Lawrence and Gabriel Shipton, Ithaka, Shipton House and ABC
- Karl Malakunas, Delikado, Thoughtful Robot Productions
Three of the films will be shortlisted for the 2022 Walkley Documentary Award. They will be announced alongside all the finalists for the 67th Walkley Awards on Thursday, October 13. Subscribe to the Walkley email newsletter for news.
The winners of the 67th Walkley Awards will be announced at a Gala Dinner on Thursday November 17, 2022.