The Five-year spectrum outlook 2022–27 has been released.
Informed by views of spectrum users, the FYSO provides an overview of technology, market and policy drivers likely to shape the demand of spectrum over the next five years. It also includes the ACMA’s work program for the next 12 months to help spectrum users plan for potential changes.
Top-line activities over the life of this FYSO include:
- Implementing planning outcomes to support bringing 5G spectrum to market.
- Monitoring demand for spectrum for non-geostationary satellite orbit constellations.
- Monitoring terahertz spectrum international developments and use cases.
- Updating spectrum licensing technical frameworks and RALIs for apparatus licences.
- Exploring new spectrum-sharing techniques.
- Monitoring terrestrial television broadcasting technology options to support future planning work, while continuing radio industry transition to digital radio technologies.
- Commencing consideration of expiring spectrum licences.
- Supporting the development of Australian positions for the World Radiocommunication Conference 2023 (WRC-23).