The Foxtel Group has confirmed it will be the first global syndication partner for the Sky Glass streaming TV, described as “a world-class streaming aggregation product that provides a next-generation user experience that seamlessly aggregates streaming content all in one place, together with ultra-premium devices, including a 4K UHD TV with cinema-quality sound.”
Sky Glass, launched by Sky in London, will form another element in the Foxtel Group’s streaming-led roadmap and is expected to be available in Australia in late 2023.
Confirmation that the Foxtel Group will be the first syndication partner for Sky Glass follows Foxtel’s launch of the internet-connected streaming iQ5 set top box. Foxtel also confirmed plans to update software in the iQ4 in the coming months to also enable the set top to be IP-led without the need for cable or satellite.
Foxtel Group Chief Executive Patrick Delany said: “Sky Glass will add another dimension to our future as we continue to invest in innovation and reposition Foxtel to be Australia’s premium aggregator of streamed entertainment.
“We are incredibly pleased to be the first syndication partner for Sky Glass. It allows us to join a global product and technology roadmap created by Sky and Comcast, offering customers a world-class entertainment experience and devices, powered by Comcast’s global technology platform.
“Australian households expected to have an average of almost four entertainment streaming subscriptions by 2025. Sky Glass will provide customers with a world-class user interface making life simple by seamlessly aggregating content from multiple providers all in one place, together with beautifully designed devices, including the Glass TV with premium quality 4K UHD picture and 360o Dolby Atmos sound.
“This solution will genuinely provide everything in one place for customers, along with even greater simplicity with a single premium device, easy buying, and a plug and play experience.”
Sky Group Chief Executive Officer Dana Strong said: “We are pleased to announce Foxtel, Australia’s leading subscription TV company, as our first Sky Glass syndication partner.”
Joining the Sky Glass global syndication partnership follows the Foxtel Group’s Strategy Day last week, at which the company outlined its progress in becoming Australia’s leading IP-led subscription entertainment company with more than 4 million subscribers.
Sky Glass enables UK viewers to get Sky TV over WiFi. The new streaming TV from Sky is available to buy in the UK from 18 October and will launch in Sky’s other European markets from 2022.
Sky Glass, the streaming TV from Sky – key features:
- The only TV with Sky and all your favourite apps inside
- Buy your TV like you buy your mobile phone with flexible payments
- Cutting-edge design available in five colours and three sizes
- Ultra HD and Quantum Dot technology producing over 1 billion colours
- 360° Dolby Atmos sound with powerful built-in speakers and sub-woofer
- Talk to your TV: just say “Hello Sky” to find what to watch
- The world’s first TV to be certified as a CarbonNeutral product
According to Sky UK, “Simply plug, pair and play to enjoy stunning screen quality and cinematic sound, with everything you need built in, so you will be ready to go in minutes. With easy access to stream your favourite content and apps using your voice and incredible search, Sky Glass makes it simple for you to find and watch the TV you love.”
Speaking at the launch, Dana Strong, Group Chief Executive, Sky said: “Sky Glass is the streaming TV with Sky inside, providing the total integration of hardware, software and content. Built on over 30 years of understanding what our customers want, this is a TV that only Sky could make. We believe this is the smartest TV available, and that customers will love it.”
By taking this step, Sky says it will operate across the whole value chain, from content production, through to connectivity and aggregation, all coming together on the Sky Glass screen.
Sky Glass is designed to make life easier with a range of innovations:
- Sky partnered with Map Project Office, one of world’s leading design agencies, to create the elegant design. Sky Glass comes in a choice of three sizes (Small 43”, Medium 55” and Large 65”) and five rich colours. Choose from Ocean blue, Ceramic white, Racing green, Dusky pink, or Anthracite black, with matching remotes and customisable speaker fascias for extra personalisation. It has a mounting bracket cleverly integrated into the TV, or a sleek colour matched stand. With a single wire and just one plug, Sky Glass makes clutter a thing of the past, while the woven acoustic mesh used to optimise sound performance and millimetre-perfect perforations help Sky Glass sound as good as it looks.
- With over a billion colours, a 4K Ultra HD Quantum Dot screen delivers crystal-clear picture, while the 10-bit HDR screen supports HLG, HDR10 and Dolby Vision to produce vibrant, more intense colour. Whether you’re cheering on your team in the Premier League or getting stuck into the latest blockbuster, Sky Glass knows what you’re watching and optimises sound and picture for you, while Intelligent Zonal Technology works to bring you darker darks and brights that look brighter.
- Transform your living room into a cinema, concert, or stadium with six powerful, integrated speakers in optimal positions to deliver edge to edge Dolby Atmos sound and a sub-woofer designed in for a rich, deep bass – all without buying a separate soundbar.
With far field voice and Glance Motion Technology, just say “Hello Sky” or walk past to bring the streaming TV to life. A new home page makes it easier to find, watch and play the TV you love. It brings all your favourite content from across Sky, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Disney+, ITV Hub, All4, Spotify, Peloton, PlayWorks and more. Use your voice to find what you want in a flash and to turn on the TV, control the volume or switch to connected devices.
At the press of a single button, you can now create a personal Playlist of your favourite shows, movies and more across apps and channels, live and on demand. The new plus button on the remote adds to your Playlist for you to stream any time you want – all in one place.
You never need to miss a show again with live Restart, you can jump straight back into anything that’s on now and available to watch from the start.
Sky Glass is made to be affordable. Choose to buy your TV like you buy your mobile phone by paying in one go or spread the cost with interest-free monthly payments. It is available from as little as £13 per month, exclusively with Sky TV, starting from £26 for Sky Ultimate TV and for the first time HD is included as standard. That’s £39 per month to get the 43” Sky Glass TV plus every episode of award-winning Sky Originals and Sky Exclusives, all your favourite channels and a fantastic line up you won’t find on Freeview, as well as Netflix. For just £4 more a month you can increase the size of your TV to a 55”, or £8 more for a 65”.
Sky Glass has been built as a platform which can be deployed by other Telco and subscription television operators so they can bring the Sky Glass experience to their customers too.
Sky Glass will get even better in 2022, with the launch of a high spec 4K smart camera that works seamlessly with Sky Glass and will unlock a range of exciting new services for the whole family. It will transform how we chat, play games, workout and share entertainment at home.
The streaming TV from Sky is built on technology borne of the collaboration as part of the Comcast Corporation – using the same operating system, and with shared knowledge and expertise. A great example of how Sky and Comcast are together accelerating innovation across the company. Added to Sky’s successful history of innovation gives the perfect combination of scale, capability and brand power.
In 2022, Sky will offer its strongest ever line-up of products and services to sit alongside Sky Glass. In addition to Sky Glass, customers can enjoy the award-winning Sky Q with all your favourite channels and apps in one place, and with Sky Go you can now access an even better experience on your devices. Sky TV has new channels, new shows and new deals with Peacock, Paramount+ and more. Sky Mobile was voted Best Pay Monthly and Best Value Pay Monthly network by Uswitch, and with Sky Broadband we’re offering our fastest speeds yet.
Visit www.sky.com/glass and www.foxtel.com.au