The Singapore Media Festival (SMF) recently announced the launch of the Media International Advisory Council (IAC), which gathers top international industry leaders from the media sector to exchange views and develop insights to the rapidly evolving media landscape, and discuss how policy makers and industry players could work together to increase the vibrancy of the industry in Southeast Asia. To be convened annually in Singapore as part of the Singapore Media Festival, the first Council meeting was held today to exchange views and develop insights on how the region’s media companies can respond to the rapidly evolving media landscape.
The media sector in Asia is fast developing, with content investment expected to reach US$4.4 billion by 2024. The set-up of the Council is timely to provide critical insights on potential opportunities for Singapore and the region to play a relevant and more significant role in the changing global media industry. Comprising global media industry leaders, the Council offers their expertise to help companies forge new models of partnership, content creation and financing to seize the rising opportunities in Asia.
The inaugural Council, chaired by Minister S Iswaran, consists of 11 members who have been appointed by IMDA for a period of two years. The members are:
- Mr Alvin W. Sariaatmadja, President Director, PT Elang Mahkota Teknologi Tbk (Emtek)
- Mr Bill Holmes, Chief Business Development Officer, Netflix
- Mr Chase Carey, CEO and Executive Chairman, Formula One Group
- Mr Chatri Sityodtong, Founder, Chairman, and CEO, ONE Championship
- Dr Gong Yu, Founder and CEO, iQIYI
- Ms Janice Lee, Managing Director, PCCW Media Group
- Mr Joe Ravitch, Co-Founder and Partner, Raine Group LLC
- Mr Li Ruigang, Chairman and CEO, CMC Capital Group
- Mr Robert Gilby, Founder and CEO, Blue Hat Ventures
- Mr Uday Shankar, President, The Walt Disney Co. (APAC)
- Mr Vivek Couto, Executive Director, Media Partners Asia
The inaugural Media IAC was held at Marina Bay Sands as part of the Singapore Media Festival which takes place from 21 November to 8 December, and gathers thought leaders, content creators and talents from the global film, television, digital media and pop culture industries to celebrate the best of Asian storytelling.