FUJIFILM has launched the FUIJINON Premista 19-45mm T2.9” (Premista 19-45mm), a wide-angle zoom covering focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm. The new lens is the third model to join the Premista Series of cinema zoom lenses. The Premista 19-45mm supports Large-Format sensors (that measure 43.2-46.3mm diagonally) and delivers high resolution, natural bokeh and rich tonality with HDR (high dynamic range).
The Premista 19-45mm effectively controls distortion to deliver natural images with little distortion across the entire zoom range. It offers a constant T-stop of 2.9 across its focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm. Featuring large-diameter aspherical lens elements and a unique zooming system, the lens achieves an astonishing level of edge-to-edge sharpness. Additionally, distortion is effectively reduced even at the widest focal lengths, delivering natural footage with minimal distortion across the entire zoom range.
Furthermore, the use of proprietary optical simulation technology and mechanical design technology enables a compact yet robust lens body measuring 228mm and weighing 3.3kg. The new zoom lens can be utilised for handheld shooting using a Steadicam or high-angle shooting using a crane. Similar to the standard and telephoto zooms, the Premista 19-45mm supports “ZEISS eXtended Data”, which can record metadata when shooting, thereby reducing video-editing workload in post-production and facilitating efficient video production.
The new lens measures 27mm long and weighs 500g, more compact and lightweight than Premista Series’ standard and telephoto zooms. It is also very robust, enabling video recording with Steadicam
Main features include:
(1) Compatible with Large-Format sensors to deliver outstanding high resolution, natural bokeh and rich tonality
- By featuring large-diameter aspherical lens elements polished to ultimate precision and FUJIFILM’s unique zooming system, the Premista 19-45mm effectively corrects chromatic aberration. This resolves images across the frame to produce impressive sharpness and clarity.
- The lens effectively reduces distortion, which tends to occur when shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, to achieve natural scene description regardless of subject distance and zoom position.
- The 13-blade iris design forms a near-perfect circular aperture. It produces natural and beautiful bokeh when the aperture is set for a shallow depth-of-field, which is a characteristic of Large-Format sensors.
- The use of cutting-edge optical design and FUJIFILM’s unique coating process allows minimal ghosts and flares thoroughly to maintain rich tonality for premium-quality video based on HDR.
(2) Wide-angle zoom covering focal lengths from 19mm to 45mm
- The Premista 19-45mm is a wide-angle zoom lens that offers a T-stop value of 2.9 across its focal length range from 19mm to 45mm. It covers the focal lengths equivalent to five prime lenses*6, thereby reducing the need to change a lens for fast and efficient video shooting.
- The lens can form a kit with the Premista Series’ standard and telephoto zooms to cover focal lengths from 19mm to 250mm, accommodating wide-angle shooting to include background as well as telephoto shooting to zoom in on a subject.
(3) Compact design and robustness
- The use of proprietary optical simulation technology and mechanical design technology enables a compact yet robust lens body measuring 228mm and weighing 3.3kg, withstanding harsh professional shooting conditions. The Premista 19-45mm can be used for handheld shooting using a Steadicam or high-angle shooting using a crane.
(4) Advanced operability
- The Premista 19-45mm shares the same front diameter and gear position for the focus, zoom and iris operating rings as the Premista Series’ standard and telephoto zooms. This allows the shared use of accessories such as a matte box, which reduces issues such as flares and ghosts, and a follow-focus system that enables smooth and accurate focusing. There is no need to re-adjust accessory positions at the time of swapping lenses, thereby providing efficient operability.
- The lens features a Flange Focal Distance adjustment mechanism*7, allowing users to easily adjust the flange focal distance by simply rotating a ring on the lens barrel to correct shifts in the flange focal distance caused by rapid temperature changes at a shooting location. The focus ring has a wide rotation angle of 280 degrees and gives smooth torque during rotation for precise focusing and excellent operability. Fluorescent paint is applied to index marks on the focus, zoom and iris rings so that these settings can be visibly checked even at night or in a dark room. The focus index can be displayed in feet or metres.
(5) Compatible with the ZEISS eXtended Data
- The lens supports “ZEISS eXtended Data”, developed by Carl Zeiss in compliance with the “/i® Technology” communication protocol. It allows users to record metadata during video shooting as well as to correct lens distortion and light fall-off at the corners, thereby reducing video-editing workload in post-production and facilitating efficient video production.