Sonnet Technologies today announced the DuoModo line of professional, modular Thunderbolt expansion systems for the desktop and for rack installation, the latest entries in its award-winning lineup of Thunderbolt products. The DuoModo line is comprised of three interchangeable expansion modules: a three-slot PCIe card system, an eGPU card system, and a Mac mini mounting system with integrated 40Gbps Thunderbolt storage dock – and three enclosures consisting of two dual-module housings (one desktop and one rackmount) and a single-module desktop housing. Sonnet will also offer four preconfigured systems to simplify the order process for the most popular combinations of modules and enclosures. All modules are Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 compatible.
What They Do
- DuoModo Echo III Module: This module (the same one used in Sonnet’s Echo III Desktop and Echo III Rackmount systems announced at the end of 2020) features one x16 and two x8 PCIe 3.0 slots; accommodates full-height, full-length (up to 12.28 inches long) PCIe cards; and connects them to a computer’s Thunderbolt port via the included 0.7-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable. The module integrates a universal 400W power supply and includes a 75W auxiliary power connector for non-GPU cards that require extra power. The module includes a mode switch that enables the use of three Avid Pro Tools|HDX PCIe cards, and features Noctua cooling fans for ultra-quiet operation.
- DuoModo eGPU Module: This module supports up to full-length, full-height, 2.5 slot-width GPU cards, and it utilises dual temperature-controlled, variable-speed Noctua fans that provide efficient and ultra-quiet cooling for the installed card. Sonnet designed this new expansion module with the goal of offering users a future-proof purchase, equipping it with an 800W power supply capable of supporting the most power-hungry GPU cards available.
- DuoModo xMac mini Module: This module securely holds an Intel® or M1 Mac mini computer to enable mounting it in a desktop or rackmount enclosure – and provides open access to its rear ports. The module’s built-in Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) storage dock provides users with four front panel connections consisting of three 10Gbps USB ports (two Type-C ports and one Type A port, each capable of powering bus-powered devices), and one Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) port. An internal USB Type A port is provided for connection of a software license dongle, such as an iLok USB-A, or a thumb drive. The dock also incorporates two M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD sockets to enable users to add up to 16TB of fast storage to their systems.
- DuoModo Dual-module Desktop and Rackmount Enclosures: Holding any two of the DuoModo modules, the desktop enclosure measures 6.9 inches wide by 16.7 inches deep by 9.1 inches tall. The dual-module 2U rackmount enclosure – the same one used in the Echo III Rackmount system – measures 19 inches wide by 16.5 inches deep by 3.5 inches tall.
- DuoModo Single-module Desktop Enclosure: This housing – the same one used in the Echo III Desktop system – measures 3.5 inches wide by 16.7 inches deep by 9 inches tall and holds any one of the DuoModo modules.
- DuoModo Preconfigured Systems: Four systems are available. Each includes an xMac mini Module plus either an Echo III Module or an eGPU Module, and a dual-module desktop or rackmount enclosure.
Why They’re Important
For the past decade, Sonnet’s Thunderbolt-to-PCIe card expansion products and computer mounting solutions have enabled users to overcome limitations in connectivity and adaptability, with the computers often favoured by pro audio and video users. The capabilities to connect PCIe cards to computers lacking card slots and install Mac mini computers in computer racks have been integral to enabling countless workflows. With the launch of the DuoModo line, Sonnet has fulfilled its customers’ biggest requests to make modular products that offer greater flexibility of use in more workflows.
How They’re Distinctive
The DuoModo line addresses the particular requirements of audio, video, and broadcast users. Users can now configure a system to fit their specific needs, creating diverse combinations such as a system housing two GPU cards or six PCIe cards to connect to their computers with Thunderbolt 3 or 4 ports, or another with a Mac mini plus one GPU card or three PCIe cards. Additional modules are planned for future release.
The DuoModo product line is available now from Sonnet and channel partners. Part numbers and pricing are available on the Sonnet website.