AJA Video Systems has released Desktop Software v16, a free update that introduces powerful new features to AJA’s lineup of KONA, Io and T-TAP products, such as High Dynamic Range (HDR) signalling over SDI, expanded IP video functionality, support for the just announced T-TAP Pro Thunderbolt 3 output device, and increased compatibility with the latest hardware and operating systems.
Desktop Software v16 includes compatibility updates for the latest macOS, Windows and Linux operating systems, including support for macOS 11.x Big Sur, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Redhat/CentOS 8 and continuing support for Windows 10 updates. Desktop Software v16 enhances and expands support for high-end computer hardware, including certified compatibility of AJA PCIe cards and Thunderbolt devices with the 2019 Mac Pro and AJA PCIe card support for Supermicro X11DAI, X11SPA+TF and X11DPG. For IP video workflows, v16 also increases compatibility with NMOS compliant devices by updating to NMOS 1.3 and adds improved troubleshooting capabilities with new LLDP support for KONA IP, Io IP and Avid ArtistTM | DNxIPTM.
With Desktop Software v16, HDR over SDI is available on select AJA KONA and Io products, and the new T-TAP Pro device. The included AJA Control Panel software features a redesigned HDR tab, offering controls for HDR to be signalled via both SDI and HDMI simultaneously. New HDR capabilities for AJA Control Room and AJA Control Panel include the addition of HDR metadata capture and HDR auto playback detection for ease of use for critical monitoring applications. To further streamline AJA’s leading 8K workflows, the v16 update also adds KONA 5 8K monitoring and output capabilities for Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer.
Additionally, the new AJA Software Development Kit (SDK) v16 for OEM Developer Partners is also available and targeted at simplifying encoding and high-end 12-bit/HDR workflows. SDK v16 introduces 12-bit workflow enhancements for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G, including support for Color Space Conversion and LUTs when working with 12-bit material. New KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G 8K bit file updates provide developers with access to 3G multi-link options, in addition to 12G, plus new 4:2:0 planar support for encoding solutions, saving time and money through the enablement of direct capture or output of 4:2:0 material without requiring transcoding.
“AJA has the most comprehensive toolset for leading creative software applications, and with our latest Desktop Software v16 update, we’ve continued to add powerful new features that improve the reliability and ease of use of our KONA, Io and T-TAP products. Desktop v16 includes increased hardware compatibility and breakthrough features for creative pros who are working in the latest delivery formats,” said Nick Rashby, President, AJA Video Systems.
A number of AJA Developer Partners that have built proprietary systems and solutions for broadcast, post and AV applications using products like AJA T-TAP Pro, KONA 5 and KONA HDMI have already begun to take advantage of the new Desktop Software v16 features.
Drastic Technologies CTO James Brooks shared, “Desktop v16, and the SDK version for developers, when integrated with our videoQC and FlowCaster products, allow our customers to transmit full HDR signalling at 4K from anywhere in the world to a local monitor for review. Systems including KONA 5 and KONA HDMI support HDR signalling in, while those with KONA 5 and T-TAP Pro enable HDR signalling out, with auto HDR detection simplifying settings for a more seamless end user experience. KONA 5 and the new T-TAP Pro pair perfectly with our dedicated Intel NUCs, and T-TAP Pro’s incredible output capabilities make it the only mobile device that can handle frame by frame, frame-accurate metadata to nearly any desired monitor.”
AJA Desktop Software v16 feature highlights include:
- Support for the new T-TAP Pro portable Thunderbolt 3 output device, featuring 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 for 4K/UltraHD on macOS and Windows.
- Expanded OS compatibility, including macOS Big Sur 11.x, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Redhat/CentOS 8, and Windows 10.
- Certified compatibility of AJA PCIe cards and Io devices with SuperMicro X11DAI, X11SPA+TF, and X11DPG.
- Breakthrough HDR over SDI support; VPID signalling is now available for SDR/HDR transfer characteristics over SDI on KONA, Io, and T-TAP Pro.
- HDR metadata/transfer characteristics for capture and auto playback detection.
- New 8K optimizations for capture/playback on macOS, Linux and Windows, including KONA 5 8K support in Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer.
- 4K closed captioning support in AJA Control Room on KONA 4, 5, Io 4K Plus, and T-TAP Pro.
- ST 2110 updates on KONA IP and Io IP; NMOS update to 1.3 and LLDP support.
- Expanded functionality on AJA NMOS application.
- Dynamic FPGA firmware reconfiguration, providing rapid firmware switching.
AJA SDK v16 feature highlights include:
- 8K bitfile updated; added quad- and dual-link I/O via 3G-SDI and 1.5G-SDI (multi-link I/O) for 4K to the 8K bitfiles for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G.
- New 4:2:0/4:2:2, 8-bit/10-bit, 3-planar I/O, for integrating SDI 4:2:2, 10-bit I/O with 4:2:0-based encoders/decoders (8-bit or 10-bit).
- New 12-bit workflow enhancements for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G.
- New custom HANC playout capability with KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G.
AJA Desktop Software v16 and SDK v16 are now available as a free download from AJA’s support page.