The world’s top film and visual effects studios rely on Boris FX Silhouette to create stunning imagery, behind-the-scenes matte paintings, and invisible touch-ups. Artists have recently used Silhouette’s famous toolset on blockbuster titles, including Dune, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, and The Mandalorian. The 2022 release builds upon fifteen years of advanced rotoscoping and paint excellence with powerful compositing, tracking, and image processing tools, thanks to the inclusion of the post-production industry’s most popular visual effects plugins.
“Silhouette has evolved into a fully-featured node-based system with the addition of best-in-class Sapphire, Mocha Pro, and Particle Illusion plugins,” says Marco Paolini, product designer and winner of an Academy Award (Sci-Tech). “The 2022 release empowers compositors, rotoscope, and paint artists to crank out complex shots using similar tools, and often superior, to more costly solutions. With the ability to combine hundreds of stylized effects, realistic particle simulations, and the full Mocha Pro interface, it has never been a more exciting time for VFX artists.”
Silhouette 2022 is now available for purchase as a standalone application and a plugin for popular video host applications including Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro, Foundry Nuke, Blackmagic Fusion, Resolve, and Autodesk Flame.
- Sapphire: The visual effects collection features over 270 effect nodes, thousands of presets, and Hollywood’s favorite lighting effects, lens flares, and glows.
- Mocha Pro: The Academy Award-winning planar motion tracking toolset brings advanced modules to Silhouette with organic PowerMesh tracking, object removal, and image stabilisation. New data ports bridge native Silhouette nodes to the included Mocha Pro node for streamlined tracking and spline connections.
- Particle Illusion: Create realistic particle animations with 3D emitters, fluid dynamics, and a massive preset library. Add environmental elements, including dust, smoke, fire, and explosions, or explore curated graphics such as HUDs and sci-fi elements.
- Continuum (select effects): Useful image processing filters include magic sharp to fix blurry footage, beauty studio for skin retouching, and six dynamic blur filters optimised with fast GPU processing.
- InPaint: A new time-saving node that removes objects and creates clean plates without needing to paint manually. Perfect for quick wire removes, beauty work, and more.
- Tracking and Roto Improvements: Includes a new surface tool to position and refine planar track inserts, node actions for sharing track and shape data between nodes, and DOD node with track cropping for improved render performance.
- PowerMesh Warp: Delivers a seamless ‘reverse warp stabilized’ workflow to Silhouette’s paint and roto tools via Mocha Pro’s data port. The new PowerMesh Warp node is helpful for detailed painting on warped surfaces like skin or fabrics.
- Faster Speeds: Optimised native Apple M1 support.
- Colour Management: OpenColorIO v2 with GPU-rendering and improved ACES support.