The new Boris FX Silhouette Paint plugin is a cross-platform, cross-host product offering Mocha-tracked non-destructive repeatable paint for the post-production industry’s most popular video applications. Host support includes Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, Autodesk Flame, Blackmagic Design Resolve and Fusion, and Foundry Nuke. It is available via subscription.
Silhouette Paint offers 32-bit high dynamic range paint tools for tasks such as matte painting, beauty work, touch-ups, marker removal, and more. Its non-destructive Auto Paint stroke system delivers interactive pressure-sensitive artistic control at any resolution. Artists can easily add hundreds of paint strokes without worrying about any performance issues — all without leaving their project timelines. In addition, artists can easily track and mask paint effects with built-in Mocha planar motion tracking.
“Silhouette Paint fills two important gaps. The world’s most renowned visual effects teams, who have relied on Silhouette’s superior paint and rotoscoping tools as a standalone application, can now access those same tools as a plugin inside the industry’s leading video applications,” says Boris Yamnitsky, President and Founder, Boris FX. “This new workflow helps streamline the overall post-production process. It also introduces Silhouette to an entirely new generation thanks to the plugin’s wallet-friendly price. YouTube and Instagram content creators can now access the same paint tools used on Hollywood’s biggest blockbusters.”
Marco Paolini, Silhouette’s Product Designer, reflects upon Silhouette Paint’s evolution into a plugin. “Silhouette Paint empowers artists, editors, colorists, and compositors to crank out simple touch-ups to complex animations using paint tools that are similar, and often superior, to more costly solutions. Retouching, wire/rig/logo removals, and sophisticated cloning are all now within reach.”
Silhouette paint highlights include:
- Paint Tools: 16 pressure-sensitive and customizable brushes including Clone, Blemish, Grain, Repair, Drag, and more.
- Non-Destructive Paint: Optimised to handle hundreds of brush strokes at high resolutions without a performance penalty.
- Auto Paint Recording System: Automatic recording of paint events with selective brush stroke playback delivers the speed of a raster-based paint system with the flexibility of vector paint.
- Motion Tracking: Multiple tracking options including point, planar, and integrated Mocha tracking for rock-solid tracks.
- Channels & Detail Separation: Paint on individual RGBA channels or choose to work on separated detail and color layers for advanced control.
- Cloning: Advanced transform and warping, color grading, onion skin, and multiple compare modes enable a streamlined workflow for aligning, patching, and removing unwanted pixels.
- Roto Assisted Paint: Rotoscoped and tracked shapes assist in limiting where paint strokes are applied.
- Operating Systems: macOS, Windows, and Linux